These chocolate s’mores cupcakes are the perfect treat for any time of the year, no campfire needed. Rich chocolate cupcakes with a graham cracker base stuffed with melty chocolate ganache, sticky marshmallow frosting, and topped with a toasted marshmallow.
Graham Cracker Base
- 1-1/4 cups (110g) Graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons (40g) granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons (35g) butter, melted
- 2 cups (300g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (420g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) unsweetened black cocoa powder (or
- 1/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup (240g ) well-shaken buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125g) hot brewed coffee or 1 tablespoon espresso powder mixed with hot water (coffee/espresso optional, see note)
- 1/2 cup (110g) vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (228g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 13oz (368g) marshmallow fluff
- 3 cups (g) powdered sugar
- 1–1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
- 1–1/2 cups heavy cream
20 toasted marshmallows for topping
- Make the graham cracker crust: In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar, stirring well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcake pan(s) with liners.
- Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of the graham cracker base into the prepared cupcake tins and press it down to form an even layer at the bottom.
- Make the cupcakes: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the buttermilk, coffee/ water, oil, eggs, and vanilla on medium-low.
- Lower mixer speed to low and working in thirds, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing well after each addition.
- Once all of the dry ingredients are added, raise the speed to medium-low and mix until just combined and the batter is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake tins. Bake about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan about 5-10 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- While cupcakes are baking, make the chocolate ganache filling: In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a heavy simmer.
- Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Gently stir the chocolate until ingredients are completely combined and smooth. Set aside to let cool completely.
- Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting: In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until smooth, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl when needed.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and pure vanilla extract to the butter and mix until fully combined.
- With the mixer on low, add the powdered sugar a half cup at a time until combined, then turn the mixer to medium-high and mix until the frosting becomes thick, smooth, and fluffy, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, use a teaspoon to remove a portion of the middle of the cupcake and create a small hole for the ganache.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon (or whatever is needed to fill the hole) into the cupcake.
- Using your tip of choice, pipe the frosting on to the cupcake. (It’s ok if the ganache runs over the edge, it just makes it even yummier).
- Top with a toasted marshmallow and enjoy.
Espresso powder or coffee pair well with chocolate and intensify chocolate flavors even more. Don’t worry, your cake won’t taste like coffee when it’s added!
To make filling the piping bag easier, place the bag in a tall glass and fill.
If you don’t have a piping bag or tip, simply use a ziplock bag and cut off one of the corners.