In a country filled with magical temples, dense jungle, resilient, welcoming people, and bugs as a regular part of the diet lies the largest temple complex in the world: Angkor Wat.
Although Cambodia’s Angkor Temples have been on my bucket list for quite some time (as I’m sure is the case with a lot of travelers), I was completely unprepared for what I was in store for. While unbearable heat with very little respite (even the pools were so warm they gave little relief) came as a bit of a surprise; the wild nature of Siem Reap coupled with magical temples and holy sites around every corner makes this captivating country an adventure-seeker’s paradise.
Here are 18 reasons (in photo form) to add Cambodia’s Angkor Temples to your bucket list.
1. The airport is pretty darn cool
2. The street food scene features one of a kind eats
3. Temples are around every corner
4. The details are stunning
5. It’s the largest temple complex in the world
6. Take your photo at the center of the universe
7. See the world from a different perspective
8. Take in the history of the Khemer empire
9. Get in touch with your spiritual side
10. Marvel at the amazing architecture
11. Explore the temples taken back by nature
11. Marvel at the jewel of Khemer art
12. Trek to River of a Thousand Lingas
13. Eat your heart out at the local markets
14. Take in life of the floating villages on Tonlé Sap Lake